RSS
This a blog that is dedicated to two lifelong friends that have been through a lot together and share one common interest... MOVIES.

Dreamweaver I(nception) Believe You Can Get Me Through the Night



Well it's been a while (Stain'd style) since my last entry, but that is just the way the wind blows these days. Free time is few and far between. However, due to all of this crazy talk (girl, please) about the new summer hit Inception, I knew I had to get out and see it before someone ruined the ending for me (In which case the temper tantrum I would have thrown would have looked eerily similar this). Hopefully, I will not spoil this movie for anyone after reading my review. Consider this my spoiler alert and if you have not seen this yet (you're a loser) click this to entertain yourself instead and proceed reading the rest of this review at your own risk.


Not long after James and I started this gold mine, I had dreamed (see what I did there?) it would be cool if he and I tried to go see a movie at the same time and do a joint review. After lots of planning and cancelling then planning and cancelling then planning and cancelling again we finally went and saw this movie together. Also, it should be noted, somehow, shockingly we each were able to persuade a couple of beautiful girls to accompany us to this movie (They are merely after us for the $1.84 we have made off of this blog. And because we are famous, that too).


Before I give my thoughts on this film, I would like to point out a few things that I randomly noticed that might interest y'all:

  1. I spent the first ten minutes (big mistake, if don't pay attention for a second it's all over) wondering where I knew the initial architect in the first dream sequence(His name is Lukas Haas if you don't remember that start of your movie like the start of a dream) from. Then it hit me. Uhhhhh, was that guy in Mars Attacks? Yes, yes he was. Joey- 1 Inception- 0
  2. When Cobb is explaining the concepts behind the dreams to Juno (Where was her baby, by the way? What a turrrrible mother) and illustrates the image on the napkin, did anyone else notice that the UPS guy played DiCaprio's stunt double for that part of the scene? Those arcs and the circle were perfect!
  3. Why did they need heavy sedatives to sleep for four hours? Umm, have you seen me nap? Anyone that knows me well enough knows that I don't need to be drugged to sleep all day. This fella didn't need any help sleeping that long either.
  4. This movie at times had striking similarities to Shutter Island (Same lead actor, he loses his mind, it was over hyped, etc.).
  5. How much fun would it have been to smack the crap out of your fellow cast mates? I couldn't help but laugh out loud (also known as LOL) every time they did this in the movie. And it occurred on more than one occasion.
But, I digress…. To be perfectly honest with you (oh no, here it comes), I merely thought this movie was o.k. to mildly good. The problem with this movie (and most blockbusters), if you don't see a big time movie on its opening night, or opening weekend at the very least, it ruins it for you a little bit. Maybe I'm being too critical, call me crazy. But, after everything I have heard leading up to this movie, I left a little let down and feeling kind of "eh". Maybe it is just because I didn't have a significant life changing connection with this movie that apparently everyone had (born again dreamers as I'm calling it). If you think I'm going to pay to watch this movie again you can figure out my answer via this song. For me, my own dreams are more entertaining (from what I can remember).


I thought this movie was too farfetched and out there (obviously). It also seemed to drag on too long especially for a movie that was packed with SO much information. And please, don't get me started on the three separate dreams at once stuff… I'm just not going to go there.

But, literally ALL I heard this weekend was how awesome Inception was and how it would blow my mind to Reese's pieces (which yes, I would have eaten had that actually happened. In fact that actually sounds like a good spin off commercial to promote Reese's pieces.), but it did not seeing as I am here typing this. Please take a minute and look at some of these tweets I saw over the past few days:

So, as you can see I was expecting the best thing ever, which I did not get. So, I was disappointed. However, there were things I enjoyed about this film. Here are some of the things I liked:

  1. Special effects were solid. The slow motion shots in the action scenes were a nice touch. Nolan has always been known for making his effects very special.
  2. I enjoyed the overall flow of the movie. It seemed to adopt the style that Pulp Fiction mastered when they showed the final scene at the beginning of the movie and then spent the rest of the film getting you to that point, which I have always been a huge fan of.
  3. This film throws a lot at you and rightfully so because it is a deep and complex film, much like an actual dream. For a movie that people assured me would leave my brains like this, I actually felt like I followed it pretty well.
  4. When the characters were dragging around the city in their dreams like they were playing on an iPad, I was amazed.
Overall, 3 out of 5 stars. This wasn't the best movie I have ever seen and it sure as hell didn't "have sex with my brain and didn't bother staying for breakfast or calling me back. (Insert parenthetical citation here)." In fact, I'm choosing not to call it back, because I am not that desperate yet. Everyone take it as a lesson I learned the hard way. If there is a movie you really want to see, get out and see it as soon as possible before you let tweets, statuses, and other word of mouth hype something up for you too much!

I know everyone probably thinks I'm snorting zanex after reading this review. And I could even be wrong (But I never am). I would love to hear what the CLAWtomicBAUM nation feels about this movie.


Best Regards, Salutations, and Thanks for your continued dedication of reading this blog (You're the best James!)


-#0, The Claw

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 The CLAWtomic BAUM Movie Reviews. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy